CKI began as a Kiwanis club service project to provide an opportunity for capable, ambitious, and worthy young men to acquire a college education by assisting them, where necessary, with their financial problems; by means of a scholarship fund, if available, or securing part-time employment. Additionally, affording its members a useful training in the social graces of a well-rounded personality was a focus area for CKI. Soon after the concept of CKI was recognized and accpeted, the element of community service was introduced to CKI, thus creating an appealing outlet for collegians around the globe.
Today, as the largest collegiate service organization, CKI boasts a membership of more than 13,000 collegians on nearly 550 campuses worldwide. CKI is a student-led organization with an International Board of Trustees elected by its membership each year. Embodied by its tenets of leadership, fellowship, and service at the club, district, and International levels, CKI continues to grow through service tot he world's campuses and communities.
Circle K International has grown tremendously over the past 40 years, sometimes in spirit, sometimes in members, and still other times in service to the community. Circle K International is continuing to move toward ever-increasing service and leadership development as well as providing fellowship and personal growth to the members. Though history provides a good foundation from which to view achievements and obstacles, Circle K International must connect the organization's mission with tomorrow's college students and tomorrow's student organizations to envision the possibilities for the organization and realize its dream of creating a better world in which to live.
1947: First CKI Club chartered at Carthage College, Illinois.
1949: CKI becomes an International organization with the chartering of a club at the University of Western Ontario.
1953: Kenneth B. Creasy of Ohia Wesleyan Univeristy elected as President of CKI.
1955: CKI Constitution and Bylaws adopted.
1957: Texas-Oklahoma becomes first district of CKI.
1971: Females welcomed into CKI.
1982: CKI memberships surpasses 14,500 members.
1999: CKI leadership dedicates year as the Year of Service.
2000: Members of CKI surpass the $420,000 mark in the effort to eliminate iodine deficiency disorders.
2005: Marks the 50th Anniversary of CKI.
2007: CKI announces its international fundraiser, Saving Lives: The Six Cents Initiative, which focuses on getting clean water to children who need it most.