Name and Territorial Limits
Section 1. The name of this organization shall be the California Nevada Hawaii District of Circle K International.
Section 2. The territorial limits within which this district shall function shall be co extensive with the territorial limits of the California Nevada Hawaii District of Kiwanis International unless other territorial limits are petitioned by the Kiwanis and Circle K District boards and such petitions approved by the Circle K International Board of Trustees and the Kiwanis International Board of Trustees.
Section 1. The objects of the District shall be:
- To support and promote the Objects, Mission, and Vision of Circle K International as outlined in the International Bylaws;
- To coordinate district and divisional projects and events;
- To support the projects of member Circle K clubs;
- To strengthen and extend Circle K in the district;
- To increase the fellowship and cooperative efforts of the clubs within the district;
- To provide the goods and services necessary for the welfare of the clubs and individual members;
- To promote participation by member clubs in the objects, and programs of the district and of Circle K International;
- To accept and promote the Bylaws and Policy Code of Circle K International.
Section 1. The territory of the district shall be divided into divisions by the District Board of Officers as specified in the district operating procedures, pending the approval of the Kiwanis District Board of Trustees.
Section 2. The territorial limits of these divisions, as approved by the Kiwanis District Board of Trustees, shall be delineated from time to time by the Circle K District Board of Officers as necessary.
Section 1. Each Circle K club situated within the territorial limits of this Circle K district shall be a member of the district.
Section 2. Any member club more than thirty (30) days in arrears for any indebtedness to Circle K International, its district or its sponsoring Kiwanis club shall be considered "not in good standing" and my have its charter and membership suspended or revoked as provided for in the Constitution and Bylaws.
Section 1. The elected officers of the District board shall consist of the following: governor, the secretary, the treasurer and such lieutenant governors as defined in the district policy code.
Section 2. The elected officers of a district, as defined above, shall be elected at the annual district convention.
Section 3. District officers must meet and maintain minimum membership requirements as defined by the Circle K International Bylaws for the length of his/her term of office.
Section 4. All officers shall assume their official duties the first day of April following the annual convention at which they are elected, and shall serve for one (1) year or until their successor(s) are duly elected or appointed in accordance with these bylaws.
Section 5. The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
- The governor shall have the duty of furthering the objects of Circle K International and promoting the interests of Circle K clubs within his/her district, he/she shall work closely with other international and district offices to strengthen and expand Circle K. The governor shall be the chief executive of the district, shall appoint all standing, special district committees, serve as an ex officio member of all committees with the approval of the district board of officers; and shall preside at the district convention and all meeting of the District Board of Officers. He/she shall attend the international convention and all meetings of the International Council. The governor shall be responsible for the leadership training of club officers, for workshop which will be held at the district convention; and for developing all communications with clubs for the purpose of bringing administrative aid to said clubs. The governor shall develop and work closely with the Kiwanis district Circle K administrator on all matters dealing with the operation of the district.
- The lieutenant governor shall assist the governor in the work of the district. This person shall represent the governor and have full responsibility under the direction of the governor in supervising the district executive work in his/her respective division. The lieutenant governor shall be charged with encouraging clubs within the division to increase their membership, complete worthwhile service projects, and remain up to date on the condition of the clubs. The lieutenant governor shall also work with the governor, district administrator, Kiwanis lieutenant governors and area Kiwanis clubs on the building of new clubs and the rebuilding of inactive clubs. This person shall also perform such other duties as may be assigned by the governor or the District board of Officers.
- The secretary shall keep all records of the district convention and of all meetings of the District Board of Officers. The secretary shall submit a report to the annual convention and at such other times as the governor and the District Board of Officers may require. This person shall submit to the proper officials and committees all communications received for Circle K International. The secretary shall cooperate with the governor in forwarding all official reports required by Circle K International. This personal shall also perform such other duties as may be assigned by the governor or District the District Board of Officers.
- The treasurer shall, under the supervision of the district administrator, keep records of all district dues, convention registration fees, and other district income. All revenue will be sent to the district office. The accounts shall at all times be open to inspection by the governor, the District Board of Officers, the district administrator, Kiwanis District Board of Trustees, and any authorized auditor. The treasurer shall submit a financial report at the annual convention and at such times as the governor, the District Board of Officers, or the Kiwanis District Board of Trustees may require, and also perform such other duties as may be assigned by the governor or the District Board of Officers.
Section 6. A district officer may be removed from office for just cause by a vote of two thirds (2/3) of all members of the District Board of Officers duly elected and serving at the time. Whenever there appears to be sufficient cause for such action, the governor shall give said officer immediate notice that the matter shall be discussed at the next regular meeting of the district Board of Officers or at a special meeting called for that purpose. Consideration shall be given to the facts and reasons why the office should be declared vacant. The officer shall be afforded the opportunity at that meeting to explain or refute the allegations. In event that the District Board of Officers shall find the alleged facts to be true, by a vote of two thirds (2/3), the District Board of Officers shall have the power to declare such office vacant, and the vacancy will be filled in accordance with the provisions contained in these Bylaws.
Section 7. No district officer may hold an international office or club office in addition to his/her district office.
District Board of Officers
Section 1. The District Board of Officers shall consist of the governor, the secretary, the treasurer and the lieutenant governors. Only the elected officers of the district Board shall be empowered to vote and determine district policies and actions. All questions of majority or quorum shall only apply to the elected officers of the district board. The district administrator, all standing committee chairs, and the immediate past governor shall each serve as a non-voting ex-officio members of the district Board of Officers.
- The management and control of the affairs of the district not otherwise provided for in these Bylaws shall be vested in the District Board of Officers, subject to the direction and approval of the Kiwanis Board of Trustees, through the District Administrator, and the Circle K International Board of Trustees.
- Standard operations, procedures, and policies for the district shall be specified and maintained in the district Operating Procedures.
Section 3. The District Board of Officers shall hold a minimum of five (5) regular meetings annually, one of which is to be held during the period between academic years. The district administrator, or an official Kiwanis district representative, must attend all regular and special meetings.
Section 4. The Secretary shall notify each member of the District Board of Officers, the Kiwanis governor, the district administrator, member of the Kiwanis District Committee on Circle K, and the presidents of all Circle K Clubs in the District of the time, place (including directions), and the date of all meetings of the District Board of Officers in writing not less than thirty (30) days prior to each meeting.
Section 5. A special meeting of the District Board of Officers may be called by the governor, the secretary, district administrator, or two thirds (2/3) of the members of the district Board of Officers. A special meeting may only be called with the approval of the district administrator. notice of said special meeting shall be sent to each member of the District Board of Officers by the secretary no less than ten (10) days prior to the date of the meeting and shall clearly state the purpose or purposes for which the meeting is called. Only business which is stated in said notice may be discussed at such meeting.
Section 6. After consulting with the district administrator, the Governor shall be responsible for the preparation of a tentative agenda for all meeting of the District Board of Officers. The Governor shall then be responsible for the distribution of said agenda to each member of the District Board of Officers, the Kiwanis governor, the Kiwanis district secretary, and members of the Kiwanis District committee on Circle K not less than fourteen (14) days prior to each of these meetings.
Section 7. A closed executive session may only be called by a two thirds (2/3) majority of the elected District Board of Officers provided that just cause is given. This is subject to the approval of the district administrator. No official business or actions shall be recorded during closed executive sessions nor shall any minutes be recorded. Official business or actions can only be conducted during open sessions.
- All meetings of the California Nevada Hawaii District Board of Officers shall be open to any member of the district who wishes to attend except as provided for in Section 7.
- Any member of the district present at a regular board meeting may submit (an) additional item(s) to the agenda, subject to the approval of the district board.
Section 9. In the absence of the governor from a meeting, the District Board of Officers shall designate a member of the District Board of Officers to act as a chairman for that meeting upon recommendation of the governor and/or the district administrator.
Section 10. A majority of the voting members of the District board of Officers shall constitute a quorum and a majority vote of those present shall decide any question with the exception of those questions for which a greater proportion is specifically required by these Bylaws.
Section 11. In the District Mailing following, but no later than sixty (60) days after any special or regular meeting of the District Board of Officers, the secretary shall make a report of the meeting. This report shall consist of a complete synopsis of all actions taken, and he/she shall distribute said report to members of the District Board of Officers, International Representative, the Kiwanis district governor, Kiwanis district secretary, and the presidents of the clubs in the district. In addition, the secretary shall also record the official minutes for all board meetings. The official minutes will be the official record of all actions undertaken by the district board. Within thirty (30) days after approval by the District Board of Officers,the official minutes shall be signed by the governor, secretary, and district administrator, and filed with supporting documents with the district office and the international office. Any Circle K member in good standing may request a copy of the official minutes of any board meeting from the district office.